Moonlight

Moonlight
Moonlight in our Big Sky

Monday, September 24, 2012

Mystery Bunny

I have Satin rabbits.  One of my does had some babies, some of which I am very interested in keeping.  One day I went out to do chores and one of her babies was missing!!  Not in the nest box (and I ripped it apart looking for it).  There's no way it could get out, none; but somehow it did.  I searched in vain.

When the little one disapeared it was the biggest of the babies and one I had chosen to keep.  I knew the little bunny didn't stand a chance out of the rabbit enclosure.  No where near being weaned it needed Momma for her rich milk and the nesting box for it's cozy straw and the soft hair Momma had plucked for it.  Besides all that I have barn cats and they'd see a little bunny like that as a tasty treat.

I was distraught.  I get attached to my animals and I have a very protective streak.  If it's my animal it is under my protection and woe to all that would cause them harm.  Even if an animal is being raised for the purpose of meat it should still have a life of safety and be well cared for every minute of it's life.  I was positive there was no hope for the little one but I so wanted to keep that bunny; so I prayed for a miracle.  Scripture says that the Lord cares about us and all we care about.  It also says that He cares about His creation to the degree that a sparrow can't fall out of the sky without His knowing and caring.  So........ I KNOW He cares about my lost little bunny.

The other day I was out doing my chores and was taking the time to pet some babies.  My doe Snow White (named by my four year old Princess crazy daughter) has some beautiful babies that are getting close to weaning age and some of them are showing a friendly nature.  I'm considering keeping a few for my children for their 4H or at least practice for their 4H and I want to encourage their gentleness.  Besides that who wouldn't want to stroke and snuggle up to that luxurious, soft fur and just feel the gentleness of a sweet rabbit???  I was just closing the door and glanced down.  I saw something tiny moving and I caught sight of my barn cat watching it.  I hunkered down..........It was my Mystery Bunny!!!!  I kid you not!  There was the little sweetheart hop/walking along unwittingly heading towards a cat who was awaiting its approach with great interest.  I scooped it up and checked it out.  I couldn't find a single injury on it so I put it back in it's nest hoping against hope that Schokolade (it's dam) would accept it and nurse it again.


I went out later that day to check again and found it out of the cage AGAIN!  I have no idea how it's possible.  This time I found it huddled up in a corner and quickly put it back in the nest box again before the cats became aware of it's presence.  I've been checking every day, usually multiple times a day and so far all seems well.  Little tyke seems to be well so I only hope that it's getting enough milk and doing good.  As proof of how rich a rabbit dam's milk really is and how quickly kits grow on it I will remind you that this little one was the biggest of the babies when it vanished and now.........


it looks miniture when beside it's siblings.  I'm hoping it will catch up.  I may have to leave it in longer when I wean it's siblings, give it a little helping hand.

So that's the story of my Mystery Bunny.  I'll keep you updated on it's progress out here In The Middle Of No Where.


No comments:

Post a Comment